Monday, January 28, 2008

Internet Speed and Comment on Reading

At my house the internet speed is:
Download 367kbps
Upload 116kbps

Kress says "Images are plain full of meaning, whereas words wait to be filled." I hadn't ever thought of words in this way. In fact, as an English major, I have have always thought the complete opposite of this statement because words hold so much meaning in my mind. They are what create images in my mind. Someone can say one word or an author can perfectly place a word in a sentence and a perfect image fills my mind of what is being conveyed. What is arguable about this is that not everyone has the same 'image' when reading a particular word or phrase, but I would argue that this is the beauty of language. An image may be 'plain full of meaning' but what if this meaning isn't the one that you specifically want your viewer to come away with? What then? Do you tweak the image or try to find one that fills your specific need? These questions raised by an image that is supposedly 'full of meaning' are what will keep me fully satisfied with using words to paint the picture.

No comments: