Wednesday, January 30, 2008

a small stone in a wide river

I agree with April that the material was pretty dense. And I found it ironic that Kresser states that academic writing will start to disappear, yet continues to use what can easily only be described as "highly complex sentence syntax." However, in the midst of the verbosity, Kresser makes some good points. So, though it might not be what I was supposed to get out of it, I focused on one line in the third chapter. This struck me as particularly interesting (in light of the project that we have chosen to work on) can be found on page 17 when he notes that:

“Before, the power to produce messages for dissemination in the public domain lay with the few who had access to and control of the media for disseminating messages.”

This line called to mind our project about laptops being distributed in underdeveloped countries and the another group’s project about blogs done by women in the Middle East. But I wonder how it makes a difference what language is dominant to the technologies that are available. And how does that affect literacy?

No comments: