Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Final post

In investigating the topic of digital literacy, I learned that I wasn't as digitally literate as I thought myself. Digital literacy means more than just using programs and different media; it also has a great deal to do with audience analysis. The concepts in the Remediation book were all new to me, and I learned a lot from them.

The biggest challenge for me in this course was figuring out what digital literacy entails. Although I have an operational definition of it, I have come to believe that it encompasses so many aspects that in many cases, it is a very ambiguous subject.

I have been most proud of the fact that I actually developed a better understanding about the class. At first, that was my biggest concern; mainly, that I couldn't complete my projects because I didn't understand the theory I was supposed to show through my work. Now, I have a better understanding of hypermediacy, immediacy, and transparency and how they function in digital literacy.

This class has taught me a new way of approaching audience analysis and self-expression. I will be more cognizant of the choices I make and will understand why I decided to make those choices - not just because I thought they looked good or "worked", but knowing why.

No comments: