Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Kress 122-175

Ah punctuation. I've always had problems with punctuation and, like many other posters, dreaded reading this chapter. Many of my punctuation problems I attribute to the relativity of punctuation. It seems like the "rules of punctuation" often change depending on whom is teaching them. I was originally taught to put a comma where you would pause in speech, which got me in trouble because I pause in speech often. To this day I have problems with comma splices.
When Kress said on 123, "What meanings does the system of punctuation allow us to produce? Can punctuation be thought and talked about meaningfully other than as an intergral part of all the structuring systems of speech, of writing and of all other modes which occur on pages and screens?" It brought to light a question that I've always had. I remember my freshman lit teacher telling me that language is all relative, there are no rules it evolves with time. Perhaps punctuation is the same way?

No comments: