Friday, April 25, 2008

Final Post

1. What surprised me when learning about digital literacy was how much I did not know. I was totally not aware of this vast playing field that digital literacy encompasses. I always just thought of digital literacy was a fancy word for how computer savvy you are. The more and more I learned from this course the more and more I learned that I am not nearly as digitally literate as I would like to be or as I probably should be for the jobs that I wish to obtain after college.

2. The most challenging part of the course for me would probably have to be the projects. Not only getting them done ( as I said in the first post I am not as digitally literate as I would have hoped I was so learning new programs proved to be a task, such as Movie Maker, Dreamweaver and so on) but also understanding that completing the projects was not the main focus of the course. It was the first course I have really been involved in where it wasn't just about the mechanics of doing the project but about what the process of the doing the mechanics in relation to my own grasp of digitally literacy meant. Now I had to understand why my video was remediated into a different form of digital literacy, not just transform it using a program. I wouldn't use the word hard, but it was something different that took some getting used too.

3. My two proudest accomplishments are the movie my group made for the first project and my website/blog that I am currently working on. I learned to use movie maker, import video and sound! To the digitally literate person I know this sounds trivial, but to me I could not be prouder! I knew nothing about any of that and I know I feel as though I have firm grasp on them. And not only will this help me in this course, but also in numerous jobs I have been applying for. And that is an accomplishment all in its own.

4. Like I said in post three the real test of this course will come in the job I plan to take at the end of this school year. Hopefully at a magazine, newspaper, or pr firm. I am confident that my understanding of new processes and digitally literacy as a whole will set me apart from other candidate is my interviews and also from other workers once I get a job. I think this is the most rewarding and effective thing you can take from a class! I am being thrown into the real world and feel prepared now more than ever.

No comments: