Monday, April 14, 2008

Infotopia Intro, 1, and 2

While I was reading the introduction I was reminded of the Technical Writing class I took last semester. We were required to make a new entry on Wikipedia. As a class we decided on the term Professional Communication, since it was not already included. Since we did this as a class there were many posts. The site itself is monitored by someone, and I actually had some contact with this woman. We were supposed to post something and then the rest of the class would look at it and change it as necessary. In the midst of all of this, some of the stuff we posted was deleted before we could get back to it. I sent the monitor an e-mail explaining what we were doing and she told me that, since other people read the site, she could not leave something that was not true or something that seemed like publicity. This made the task challenging because we did not always work on it in class. I think it is interesting that Wikipedia exists so that anyone can have some input. But, I also find it interesting that if something you post is not entirely true, someone else can delete it. This is like the idea of the majority being right. If a lot of people agree with something, then it could be true and left on the site, but if not, it will be removed.

No comments: