Thursday, April 24, 2008

Final Post

1. What has most surprised you when investigating the topic of digital literacy?

The most surprising component of my semester long investigation of digital literacy was my naïve notion that I was already digitally literate. I came into the class thinking I can e-mail, blog, instant message, navigate around the web…I’m digitally literate. I can do anything and everything in Microsoft word, create a power point presentation in 30 minutes flat, and balance my checking account using excel…I’m digitally literate. I believed that because of my understanding of Microsoft Office and all of the other Microsoft suites that I was overly qualified when it came to all things digital related. How silly of a notion that was. I wasn’t digitally literate; I was learning to become digitally literate. Just like you learn to become literate through application, I’ve spent this entire semester learning to become digitally literate in the same way.

2. What has been the most challenging part of this course (and by challenging, I don't mean that you didn't like it, I mean to ask what challenged your previously held notions or beliefs--what made you reconsider something you thought you understood previously.)

The most challenging part of the course for me was realizing my limitations and knowing when to ask for help. I tend to be a really creative person. When I was younger I was always told what a “special” imagination I have. The problem was that I came up with the big ideas and I was never really interested in the implementation (technicality) of bringing them to life. I was, however, always willing to offer my critique of the final project. Now that I’m older I appreciate the marrying of the two—playing the role of both the creative director and technical support (although I must say I’m still better at the former).

3. What has been your proudest accomplishment? What do you know now that you didn't know before? What can you do now that you couldn't before?

My proudest accomplishment has been standing in front of my peers with the final versions of my projects and hearing their responses and feedback on what I’ve created. I don’t know, I’ve always been one of those people who get a sense of joy out of meeting the expectations of others. It’s fulfilling to know that the peers that you have so much respect for have respect for your work.

After having completed this course I know that I’m capable. I know that you get out what you put in and that goes for more than just work ethic; it goes for the software that you decide to take on as well. If you put in the effort to learn a video editing software such as Final Cut Pro or Adobe Premiere you’re going to end up with a better product than if you decided to use Windows Moviemaker.
What can I do now that I couldn’t do before? The question should be, “what can’t I do now?” I truly believe that I am capable of just about anything that I put my mind to. This semester (not just in this class) I’ve worked with everything from Audacity, to Final Cut Pro, to InDesign, to Adobe Photoshop. Prior to this semester I hadn’t worked with any of the before mentioned software.

4. How will what you have learned here affect your life? (That's the real test of a class, isn't it?)

It’s changed the way that I experience life all together. I know that sounds cheesy but it’s the truth. I can’t experience anything without asking how and why in relation to digital literacy. With my newly evolved interest in all things digital related my son ‘s life has also been affected. I now make a point to make sure that he experiences a whole array of new technologies. Since he was already into most things techy this wasn’t a hard feat. What I love most about how this class has affected my life is that I will always wonder, I will never just accept, I will always ask the hard questions, and look beyond the easy answers. I want to learn how this world we live in works and I believe that digital literacy is the way to go about achieving this.

No comments: