Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Kress 122-175

This section dealt with the importance of punctuation. To be honest when I started to read it I dreaded the pages to come. I am currently enrolled in grammar survey as well and the thought of punctuation reminds me of that class. Don't get me wrong I agree that writing could not exist without it, it just isn't the most fun thing to study. I learned the value of punctuation and all grammar for that matter when I worked as a copy editing intern this summer and even when I worked as a public relations intern this summer. None of the documents that I worked on would make any sense without the right punctuation. I believe that this in turn reflects on the reliability of the magazine. I was working at a celebrity gossip magazine so anything to add to the reliability of the material was always a good thing. This notion worked in press releases as well. The public relations company did not want a press release being read to a celebrity that was grammatically incorrect. Even if there was just a missing period or a comma that is misplaced, the wrong message can still be conveyed. If a company doesn't take the time to send out grammatically correct documents then what else does it not take the time to do? Even though I dread the study of punctuation and I know many English majors do, it is actually one of the most important things to take into consideration when writing. I think Kress expresses that in the text.

No comments: