Friday, April 25, 2008

Final post

While investigating digital literacy I was surprised to find out that I am a digital immigrant! I should not be surprised given computer courses were just being introduced when I was an undergrad (dating myself). I have always tried to stay current with job related software, but I have never really sought out new technology for the sake of just experimenting.

I suppose one of my challenges has been realizing how critical it is to constantly explore new digital applications and trends to continue to remediate myself in regards to digital literacy. This course has brought to light the realization that our economy and culture are constantly and drastically changing. Unless we are willing to change with it, we will be left behind both culturally and financially. One of the other challenges was working with Final Cut on the collaborative project. It was very intimidating at first, but a blast by project completion.

I can honestly say that this class has been a truly rewarding experience for me. I enrolled in the class in hopes it would be beneficial for me at work. Not only will I be able to use what we have discussed in class, but in my personal life as well. I felt the readings and discussions were truly beneficial in class with real life applications. Even the Kress readings which were heavy in theory were also applicable to our every day lives. Now that I have a better understanding of how digital literacy is changing our culture and economy, I feel I will be able to spot future hot trends when searching for research funding opportunities for AAH which is one the job criteria for my position at Clemson.

The knowledge I have gained in this class will help me in all aspects of my life. I noted above some of the ways this class will aid at work. I am more aware of my audience I am targeting with my designs. This course has given me critical thinking skills making me aware of what is going on in the web, as well as advertisements and billboards I see on a daily basis. I am also aware that digital literacy and technology is one of the driving forces in our culture today and we must constantly remediate ourselves or be left behind. This is true in our personal lives, work, economy, and our educational system.

No comments: